Alexandria, VA Homeowners' Guide To Termite Swarmers
March 15, 2022 - Termites
Property owners fear very few pests as much as they fear termites. This is because termites in Alexandria cause extensive property damage if left unchecked for too long. Termites eat wood, which translates to your building structure being targeted.
While termite infestations in Alexandria are hard to detect, there is one obvious sign to look for that occurs every year. This sign is known as a termite swarm. A termite swarm is an indication that the existing colony is ready to expand and form new colonies. These termite swarms only occur once the colony has reached a certain size and in favorable weather conditions.
Signs You Have A Termite Infestation On Your Alexandria Property
Keep in mind that termites are active all year long. There are other signs to observe that indicate a termite infestation is present on your property. These termite warning signs to look out for include, but aren't limited to:
- Compromised Wood Flooring: Over time, termites will consume the subfloor of your home. When this occurs, you end up with the appearance of blisters on the flooring. Most of the time, this is mistaken for water damage. However, if you don't observe any other sign of water damage, it's more than likely a termite problem.
- Damaged Wood: Damage to your walls and other wooden structures indicate a termite problem as well. Check for hollow sounds in the wall. Since termites consume wood from the inside out, this is a large indication you have termites.
- Mud Tubes: These shelter tubes act as bridges between the termite colony and the wood being consumed. As the name implies, these tubes are made of materials like soil, debris, wood, and other materials that contribute to their mud-like appearance.
- Frass: Also known as termite droppings, these are left behind by termites near their feed site after they have consumed wood.
- Discarded Wings: It's very easy to miss the termite swarm itself. However, they leave behind their wings. If you notice a collection of wings around the perimeter, you likely have a termite problem.
Prevention Tips To Avoid A Termite Problem
Since termites are so difficult to detect, it's always better to focus on termite prevention instead of termite control. For this reason, we've collected some helpful termite prevention tips for Alexandria, VA residents. Our most effective tips are:
- Moisture Elimination: Without moisture, termites can't thrive on the premises. By eliminating any moisture sources around the property, you can keep your home better protected against a termite infestation.
- Perform Repairs: Any part of the home that's in disrepair represents an easy target for termites. Whether it's a leaky faucet or damaged roofing, these act as entry points for termites. Make timely repairs to keep the termites at bay.
- Home Inspection: Look along the foundation of your home as well. Signs like mud tubes, bubbling paint, and hollow wood are likely to be discovered at this level. Check now to prevent large future problems.
- Consult With Professionals: Besides the above tips that can be done on your own, it's also a good idea to work with professionals that can deliver preventative pest control solutions in Alexandria that will keep termites and other pests outside of your home in the first place.
Eliminate Termites With Matar Termite & Pest Control
There's no doubt about it. Termites are a problem and can quickly become intimidating, given enough time to rack up the damage. That's why we work with you to eliminate the unknown and start working on solutions you can depend on to provide a pest-free Alexandria home.
Ready to stop your termite infestation? Then give our team at Matar Termite & Pest Control a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional Alexandria, VA termite control services. We will develop a customized plan to prevent or eliminate your termite problem. Call us today to learn more!