What Everyone In Alexandria Could Want To Know About Mosquitoes
May 14, 2021 - Mosquitoes
Anyone in Alexandria, Virginia, knows how annoying mosquitoes are. They cause swelling bites and have the ability to transmit diseases, mosquitoes are universally disliked. There are approximately 3,500 species of mosquito in the world and 176 species in the United States. Although it may seem like there is not much you can do about mosquitoes; there are prevention tips that can reduce the number of mosquitoes in your yard.
What Do Mosquitoes Look Like?
Mosquitoes are small and have distinguishable attributes that help to identify them from other flying insects. Mosquitoes have:
- Six long legs
- A slender body, between ¼ and 3/8 of an inch long. In Spanish, mosquito means “little fly.”
- A proboscis, which is their sharp, straw-like mouth that is used to suck blood. Only female mosquitoes suck blood.
- A variety of colorations. Most commonly, they are black, dark brown, or black and white.
Why Are Mosquitoes Dangerous?
A mosquito’s lifespan is only seven days. However, in that amount of time, a mosquito can transfer a deadly disease to a person. And despite their small size, they are considered the most dangerous animals on the planet. This is because of the various diseases that can be spread by mosquitoes. In the United States, mosquitoes are only known to spread West Nile virus, Zika virus, and encephalitis, as well as heartworm disease to dogs, which is potentially fatal. In other parts of the world with a tropical climate or in a developing country, mosquitoes spread yellow fever, dengue fever, and malaria.
Mosquitoes in Alexandria, VA are a nuisance and can also cause other health concerns like allergies and itching.
What Attracts Mosquitoes?
There are many factors on your Alexandria property that can attract an abundance of mosquitoes. The following are controllable factors on your property:
- Standing water, which is a breeding site for mosquitoes
- Tall grass and bushes that block the sun
- Certain plants: Mosquitoes don’t only take blood meals but eat nectar. Certain plants attract mosquitoes, such as water lilies, water hyacinths, and taro.
Some factors attract mosquitoes to people. These factors include:
- Dark clothing
- Carbon dioxide, which people exhale. Some people exhale more carbon dioxide than others, making them more attractive.
- Alcohol, especially beer.
How To Prevent Mosquitoes
Many factors can be reduced, which helps to keep a lot of mosquitoes off your property.
- Remove standing water by checking for clogged gutters, plants that hold water, and outdoor furniture that captures rainwater.
- For birdbaths and ponds, make sure to change and maintain the water properly.
- While some plants attract mosquitoes, others repel them. Grow plants such as citronella, marigolds, lavender, and basil to keep mosquitoes away.
- Predators such as spiders, bats, and birds are natural predators of mosquitoes. Allowing them to live in your yard can be beneficial.
- Trim excess foliage and keep your lawn cut short.
Mosquitos are least active in the afternoon when it is sunniest. This is the best time to be outside. You should also avoid drinking before going outside, showering before going out, and you should wear light-colored clothing.
Although these factors can reduce mosquitoes on your property, they will not eliminate them.
Who Can Help With Mosquitoes?
If you are experiencing a mosquito problem on your Alexandria, Virginia property, contact the experts at Matar Termite & Pest Control. Our mosquito experts have the information and protection you need to keep you and your family safe. With our control services that specifically target mosquitoes, we guarantee our customers satisfaction with the best residential and commercial pest control services.