Three Things You Can Do To Protect Your Alexandria Property From Termites
October 08, 2020 - Termites
Have you heard the story of Hansel and Gretel? It is a tale of a brother and sister who get lost in the woods and are lured into a house made of candy by a witch who seems nice but, in reality, wants to cook the two of them up for dinner. Now, you might be thinking, what does this child’s tale have to do with termites? Well, just like Hansel and Gretel, termites are drawn to properties by their stomachs. They don’t care what dangers might wait for them, just that they can fill their bellies with tasty wood. If you are looking for a way to keep these invasive and destructive pests off your Alexandria property, here are three things you can do.
Learn How To Spot Termites
There are a few different species of termites here in Alexandria; the most common are subterranean termites. We will be focusing on these pests today.
Subterranean termites build their nests deep underground. Each colony consists of workers, soldiers, and reproductive termites and has two main operations: gathering wood, and expansion. To harvest wood, termites dig tunnels from their underground nests to nearby stumps, cardboard, leaf piles, and water-damaged buildings.
If your property has the conditions to attract termites, these pests are likely to invade. To spot an infestation inside your home or business, keep your eyes out for these signs:
- Pencil-sized mud tubes crawling up your home or business building’s exterior
- Overly squeaky floorboards
- Bubbling wallpaper or paint
- Sagging drywall
- Tight-fitting doors and windows
- A soft clicking sound coming from inside your walls
We should mention, many signs that indicate a termite infestation only show up long after problems have started. The only guaranteed way to spot termites early is with professional help.
Implement Preventative Measures Around Your Property
Termites do not just invade any property. They invade properties that offer them water-damaged wood and or soft wood-based materials. To reduce attractants that invite termites, use these prevention tips:
- Repair structural wood around your property that has been negatively affected by water damage, rot, or decay.
- Throw away cardboard, paper, and other wood-based items that are wet and or water-damaged.
- Remove stumps and fallen trees from your property.
- Fix leaky piping and fixtures around your property.
- Inspect your gutters and make sure they are clean and in good working condition.
- Use a dehumidifier inside your home or business to keep moisture levels down.
- Make sure there is a non-wood barrier between your home or business’s structural wood and any exterior soil.
- Avoid using wood-based mulch, especially near the exterior of your home or business.
- Use a caulking gun or some liquid cement to fill holes, gaps, and cracks in your building's exterior.
- Retreat wood that has lost it’s varnish or protective coating.
- Remove dying trees from your property.
Call A Professional
Self-applied prevention tips do help to keep termites away, but they are by no means a guaranteed solution. To ensure your home or business stays termite-free year-round, the best thing you can do is get the experts at Matar Termites & Pest Control involved. We have the equipment, experience, and effective solutions needed to track, manage, and eliminate termite populations around your property. Our community matters to us, which is why we only offer the highest quality pest control services.
Give us a call or reach out to our team through our website today to learn more about our termite control plans, or to schedule your Alexandria property for a pest inspection. Let us find your best solution to pest problems. Learn more about our home pest control and commercial pest control services.