The Secret To Getting Rid Of Cockroaches In Alexandria Homes
February 15, 2022 - Cockroaches
When people think of the word "gross," it is no surprise that cockroaches in our homes often come to mind. These insects have been associated with filth for hundreds of years, and for good reason, too. It is no secret that they love hanging out in the grime and the muck of dirty spaces, but did you know that clean houses are just as at risk of cockroach invasions as unclean ones? Even if your Alexandria home is relatively clean, and you don’t let garbage pile up and you clean up spills and messes, roaches can still take one look around and decide your home is where they want to set up shop.
Are These Cockroaches In My Alexandria Home?
Perhaps you are suspicious of a possible roach infestation in your home. Whether or not you are already on the lookout for them, here are some signs they are have invaded your Alexandria home:
- Egg capsules: Called oothecae, each individual egg can hold up to 30 nymphs. Seeing a cluster of these indicates the roach infestation in your home is probably more severe.
- Droppings: Resembling pepper flakes, you will find droppings in places where they are searching for food, so you are more likely to see them in your food pantry, as well as the tiny cracks and crevices of your home where they are living.
- Unusual odor: Cockroaches have a distinct, unusual odor. It is a damp smell and can permeate virtually any surface. This scent is caused by pheromones secreted from their droppings. The stronger the smell, the worse your infestation is.
- Smear marks: As they crawl around, roaches leave smear marks. You will see these dark marks on the walls, counters, and floors, and anywhere they are most active.
The presence of any of these, as well as sightings of even a single roach, is an indication you have a roach infestation in your Alexandria home.
Why Is It So Bad To Have Cockroaches In My Alexandria Home?
Not only do we just simply not like having insects in our home, but cockroaches are a type of bug you should be doing everything you can to remove from your house, as they can have a severe, negative impact on the health and safety of your family. Here are some of the diseases cockroaches can pass on to us:
- Salmonellosis: This is a devastating gastrointestinal disease that can last up to a week. Because roaches themselves are so resilient, it should come as no surprise to learn that the strains of salmonella they pass onto humans are also resilient, and resistant to regular salmonella treatments.
- Listeria: This is considered one of the most severe and dangerous forms of food poisoning. Cockroaches easily spread this by scuttling over your eating utensils, counters where food is prepared, and surfaces where food is eaten.
- E. coli infection: Another severe gastrointestinal disease, this illness can be contracted through exposure to cockroach feces.
Can I Get Rid Of Roaches In My Alexandria House On My Own?
You can certainly try to remove cockroaches on your own, but most people only manage to kill a few individual insects; they never actually resolve the entire issue. Cockroaches are incredibly resilient, and are resistant to many kinds of insecticide on the market, rendering these methods of extermination practically useless.
On top of store-bought methods not being overly effective, there is a lot of misinformation on the internet encouraging people to use DIY methods, but not only are these methods possibly dangerous to humans and their pets, but a lot of them actually attract cockroaches instead of repelling them.
If a cockroach infestation is present in your home, the best thing to do is contact Matar Termite & Pest Control. We are family-owned and have 30 years of experience removing cockroach infestations completely from Alexandria homes. Our expert technicians will be dispatched to your home to use tried and tested methods to safely and effectively handle an entire cockroach infestation, and ensure they do not return. One of the benefits of having us handle this issue for you ensures you and your family do not get sick.
How Can I Prevent Future Cockroach Infestations In My Alexandria Home?
The technicians at Matar Termite & Pest Control will work with you to ensure cockroaches don’t return after an infestation has been eradicated. They will work with you to confirm that entry points around your home are sealed up properly, and clutter has been cleaned up and your pantries organized in such a way that will discourage pests from invading. They will also help you identify areas where there are leaky pipes and other areas of moisture buildup, as roaches love damp, moist areas.
Here at Matar Termite & Pest Control, we know that owning a home can be overwhelming. Let us take care of the roach control today so that you can enjoy your home as it should be — a safe, clean environment for you and your family and pets.