How To Keep Wasps Away From Your Alexandria Yard
August 13, 2021
Yard work is already such a laborious chore on its own, nobody needs the added cardio of running from a swarm of angry wasps. These insects are persistent, territorial, and aggressive, making them one of the worst summer pests to deal with. While stinging insects are incredibly important for the environment, aggressive stinging insects like wasps and hornets are dangerous to have around Alexandria neighborhoods; allergic or not, enough stings from these hotheads will send anyone to the hospital.
Commonly Found Wasps In Alexandria
Most species of wasps prefer sticking to less populated areas like rolling meadows and lush forests, but there are a few who enjoy building their nests around civilization. In Alexandria, the most likely yard-infesting culprits are:
- Paper wasps – around 1 inch long, hairless bodies, most commonly dark brown in color, defined waists, build aerial paper-like nests
- Mud daubers – between ½ to 1 inch long, hairless black or blue metallic colored bodies, thin thread-like waists, build solitary mud tube nests
- Bald-faced hornets – around 1 inch in length, slightly hairy bodies with black and pale yellow markings, less defined waists, build aerial paper-like nests
- Yellowjackets – roughly ½ to ¾ of an inch long, hairless black and yellow striped bodies, defined waists, build nests underground, in hollow trees, and wall cavities
- European hornets – over 1 inch long, slightly hairy bodies with black and orange-yellow markings, defined waists, build nests in wall cavities, attics, and hollow trees
You may be surprised to see a few of these names among the ranks of the esteemed wasps, but only one of them is an impostor; the European hornet is the only true hornet found in North America. Despite its misleading name, the bald-faced hornet is actually another species of wasp. Wasp or hornet though, it makes no difference when they're chasing you around your yard.
Just like any other pest, wasps are attracted to favorable shelter and an abundance of food sources. Overgrown shaded areas and easily accessible wall cavities make enticing nesting spots, and if you have a flowering garden infested with plant-eating pests, or a trash can left wide open to the elements, then they'll have all they need to keep a colony happy and fed.
How To Make Your Alexandria Property Less Tempting To Wasps
When it comes to outdoor pests, preventing an infestation can be tricky at best, but with dangerous infestations like wasps, you're always better safe than sorry. These tips may not be completely fool-proof, but they very well could make the difference between a successful outdoor birthday party and panic-induced chaos in your backyard:
- Trim back low-hanging tree branches and overgrown shrubs
- Secure tight-fitting lids on all outdoor trash cans
- Clean up outdoor eating and food prep areas immediately after consumption
- Avoid over-watering any gardens you may have
- Fill in any ground holes and abandoned rodents dens
- Repair any cracks and holes around the exterior of your home
- Avoid adding too many flowering plants to your garden, and consider implementing wasp-repelling plants as well; citronella, pennyroyal, eucalyptus, geraniums, wormwood, marigolds
How To Remove A Wasp Infestation From Your Alexandria Property
With how dangerous these pests can be, it's never recommended to remove an infestation on your own, and thankfully, you don't have to. Matar Termite & Pest Control has been serving this community for three decades, and in that time we've perfected the art of pest control. Our pest control plans are comprehensive and easily modified to suit every customer's needs, and we always use the highest quality, eco-friendly pest control products in all of our treatments. So, get in contact with us today, and leave the extra cardio to your visits to the gym.