How Are Mice Finding Their Way Into My Alexandria, VA Home?
October 15, 2021 - Mice
House mice are one of the most common home-invading pests. They are also one of the most dangerous and destructive because they frequently carry and spread pathogens and are destructive.
The species of mice can be identified using the following traits:
- A round body that varies in size from 1 ½ and 2 ½ inches.
- A tail that is longer than its body, which ranges from 3 to 4 inches long.
- Short hair that is either brown, black, or gray.
- A lighter color of the hair on their belly.
- They have large ears, small black eyes, a pointed muzzle, and whiskers.
These small rodents can cause many problems for you, such as:
- Spread disease-causing pathogens such as Lassa fever, hantavirus, salmonellosis, plague, and more
- Spread parasites such as fleas and ticks
- Cause difficulty breathing with their waste that can dry and turn into dust
- Chew through your home and belongings, including walls, flooring, insulation, wood, plaster, furniture, books, clothes, and more
- Chew through wires and pipes, which can become fire and flood hazards
As you can see, the problems mice can cause are extensive, which is why it is best to try and keep them out of your Alexandria, Virginia, home in the first place.
Why Are Mice Getting Into My Home?
Mice only need the smallest of holes to squeeze through to get into any property. As stated previously, they can also chew through the many materials houses are made of, making holes and gaps larger and more problematic.
The reasons mice what to get into your home are simple: food, water, and shelter. Like any living being, mice just want these three things, and unfortunately, our homes can provide that for them if they can gain easy access. And because people have made it so easy for this pest, mice have become dependent, which is why they live in such proximity to us, to begin with.
How Can I Prevent Mice?
There are several tips you can implement around your home to prevent mice. These tips include:
- Addressing any leaking pipes, faucets, and other moisture issues
- Replacing any water-damaged wood and other belongings
- Disposing of garbage property in bins with tight-fitting lids
- Storing food in air-tight containers
- Cleaning dirty dishes immediately
- Clean up crumbs, food spills, and pet food
- Maintaining the inside and the outside of your home by removing clutter
Although these tips will help prevent mice from your property, they will not get rid of an active infestation. For that, you are going to need some assistance.
Why Won’t Traps Get Rid Of Mice?
If you find one mouse in your home, there are likely to be more that you can’t see, which is why your first inclination will be to buy and place traps around the house. Although this might catch a few mice, traps won’t eliminate the entire infestation.
Each mouse infestation differs and is unique to the property. You can never really know how extensive the problem is without a thorough inspection. So while traps might get some of the work done, they won’t locate entry points, nests, and the factors attracting mice in the first place.
To take care of a mouse infestation correctly in your Alexandria home, contact Matar Termite & Pest Control professionals. Our team of experts will locate all of the factors that provide a conducive environment for mice in your home, and then exclude the entire infestation. Give us a call today at Matar Termite & Pest Control to learn more about our home pest control offerings and how we can personalize our treatments to fit all of your needs and budget.